View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 02:12 AM

Thumbs up Great Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward3132 View Post
I would put in a vote for an Pre-pro from Marantz as well. The latest model is the AV7705. I am using the AV7703 that replaced a MX 121 Great performer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward3132 View Post
For Marantz, the AV8000 series is the cream of the crop. Has the best days, internals, processing software etc. The AV7000 series is however just a step below. Both have XLR outputs which I like.

For me it came down to the need to keep up with the ever evolving world of video. MX 121 was great with 1080p but as soon as 4k came around, it could not keep up therefor you were then replacing a $6k paperweight.

AV processors from Marantz and others allow you to keep up with the video changes which are now headed towards 8k but more friendly to the pocket book.

I was able to get the AV7703 just as they were announcing their next year model at about 50% of retail. Have a nice pre-pro that keeps up with the latest technology at that time..

Now if I decide to move up, I have only invested a thousand or so rather than the $6-8k to get one of the big boys.
Edward..... You do make some great points. Having owned a Mac MX-series pre/pro, I really get your message about diminishing returns relative to the growth of technology. If you're going to spend a given amount of money, you might as well "...roll with the changes...," right? Like yourself, I also like that the Marantz AV-series are equipped with XLR outputs.

Not to steer totally away from the topic of discussion I chose, but what are your thoughts on multi-channel amplifiers? Being an old-school Mac fan, I was thinking about the MC207...but, considering what I've been reading lately, there just may be some high-quality solid state amps out there that can give Mac a good run for their money in terms of quality...

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections