View Single Post
Old 07-20-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN View Post
Yes the Vitus is high on my list as well. I’m not getting subs for this present system as with the new amps they drive the M3s much better than the Pass. Don’t get me wrong, Pass is good gear, but next to Vitus 103s there’s no competition. The system with the REIs is sounding excellent and driving the Magicos gloriously. According to REI it is true Class A, but as you said it’s a form of sliding bias, which Nelson Pass and the guy from Gryphon says isn’t true Class A.

A dedicated room is what I still need to really hear what this system is truly capable of. It won’t come to latter.

Getting to a stopping point (contentment point) I think should be one of the goals of being an audiophile. We do seem to always be tweaking many things. Arriving at that complete contentment point can be rather a rather long and difficult (yet enjoyable) journey.
Joe, I have always believed Class-A superior to any other solid state amplification, but not for me because of the heat and idle power consumption. Pass makes a mono XS300 that will do 1200 watts into 2-Ohms. It would be difficult to clip this amp. The 3500 passes all my acid tests for adequate power, including "Liberty Fanfare" as mentioned above.

Class AB solid state amps when they use more than about 10-15% of their available power can begin to sound "solid state". The desirable quality of tubes is that a well engineered amp like a 3500 retains all its wonderful sonics to clipping, which in the case of the 3500 is well over 500 watts. In addition, the 3500 provides true clipping protection and extremely accurate meters that allow me to know the watts. It runs extremely cool, requiring no fan. The sonics are the best I have ever heard. I have found my perfect amp.

I think you are much younger than me. You are on your high end journey and I think it will end well for you. You have naturally good instincts. This is evident by your choice of Magico, Class-A, and leaving off the subs until you achieve your new room and possibly a pair of M7's. Then you will be ready for the Titan. It's something to look forward to.

When Mac comes out with a D1200 I will purchase it. I will continue to update this piece until I can't hear anymore. That's it for me. It's nice for readers to see two folks at different stages in their journey, that have chosen classical stereo and passive room correction in order to achieve an accurate reproduction of the source, whether it be CD, SACD, download, or vinyl.

Best

Charles