View Single Post
Old 07-20-2022, 12:57 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Yes the Vitus is high on my list as well. I’m not getting subs for this present system as with the new amps they drive the M3s much better than the Pass. Don’t get me wrong, Pass is good gear, but next to Vitus 103s there’s no competition. The system with the REIs is sounding excellent and driving the Magicos gloriously. According to REI it is true Class A, but as you said it’s a form of sliding bias, which Nelson Pass and the guy from Gryphon says isn’t true Class A.

A dedicated room is what I still need to really hear what this system is truly capable of. It won’t come to latter.

Getting to a stopping point (contentment point) I think should be one of the goals of being an audiophile. We do seem to always be tweaking many things. Arriving at that complete contentment point can be rather a rather long and difficult (yet enjoyable) journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Joe, I briefly read about both amps. Knowing me I know that you know I would prefer the Vitus. The Westminster Labs must necessarily be sliding bias Class-A and purist that I am, I don't believe in sliding bias, but I certainly leave room to be proven wrong.

One of the reasons I posted the thread was to emphasize the desirability of achieving a measure of peace and stability with one's gear. I really liked my 1.25KW's. I love the McIntosh sound, but I knew there were better amps out there, albeit much much more expensive.

I have achieved something very rare in the true high end universe. I have found an amp that I am 100% totally satisfied with. The MC3500 MKII will never be changed in my lifetime. It is ageless and so very beautiful I can't take my eyes off it. It sounds an order of magnitude better than a 1.25KW. I never thought I'd say that. I would never consider another amplifier, remotely, and I have my 1.25's as worthy backups (two of them).

My XVX falls into the same category. I will never replace these speakers. I have never heard anything like them.

So I wrote the thread not to brag, but for interested readers to search for that elusive "eternal system", that will provide the "perfect" sound to their ears, and then stop the endless quest that often leads to frustration.

The main cause of this frustration is often a lack of understanding and confusion created by folks who have little understanding of the high end or have abandoned their roots, if they ever had any, and gone into multichannel digital madness, which causes endless tweaks and additions like subs with digital room correction, etc.

By then the original signal has become so manipulated and distorted that it is not even a poor facsimile of the original signal on the CD, SACD, download, or vinyl.

The only system I would recommend of this nature is SCAudiophile's (Mark), which he built from the ground up. I would greatly enjoy hearing his system. I know it sounds amazing.

Best

Charles

p.s. I believe you have a gorgeous classic two channel stereo system. I think Magico will soon create an M7, else why the jump to the M9. It will be the XVX direct competitor and replace the Q7. A Titan would be the only sub I would ever consider with any Magico. Then you have your "eternal system" provided you can find a suitable amp all in your new audio room.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.