View Single Post
Old 01-30-2021, 03:59 PM

Thumbs up MC501 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
It all started for me in early 1975.

I was rotating back to the US from Thailand and spent some time on R&R in the Phillippines. I was exploring the wonders of Naval Base Subic Bay's PX, It was a huge store and I was a young man with a wad of cash burning a hole in his uniform pockets.

I came to the audio & electronics section of the PX and found that they sold mostly complete systems which could be shipped home, duty free, at no cost to active duty personnel.

After some talking with the sales guy, doing a lot of listening and making the decision on which system & accessories I wanted, I had it all shipped to California and my next duty station.

I ended up with a C28 pre, an MR77 tuner, a pair of MC50 amplifiers, a Dual turntable, cartridge & a pair of Sansui SP-30 speakers along with some cables to connect it all together.

Once I got to California I was high stylin' and profilin' with my 1x12 finished boards, concrete blocks and steel wire milk basket that doubled as LP storage!

Less than a year later I was sent on temporary duty to Colorado and when I returned to my California apartment I found that my light fingered roomie had separated and decided to take the system with him when he left.

But that is how it all started. I strayed from McIntosh over the years but eventually found my way back and I am very glad I did.
Yamaki..... You've shared the light-fingered room mate story with me before, but it still gets me every time I think about something like that...but you got back to Mac and you're all the better for it. I mean, seriously, now you're in the MC501 club!

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections