View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 10:52 AM

It's common for users here to suggest that many power conditioners limit current. While I don't doubt that some power conditioners can have a negative effect on sound, I'm dubious that the cause is necessarily the device limiting current into an amplifier. I base this on actually measuring current with and without a power conditioner, using the same amplifier and musical test signal.

In my system, I have two pairs of Tice Power Blocks and Titans. There is a pair of each for each of my two amplifiers - I have a biamplified system - and each pair is on its own dedicated, derated 20 amp line. These power conditioners do not limit current. Yes, they can alter the sound of a system and yes, that difference can change depending on the installation. But whatever difference is noted, I'm convinced it isn't caused by current limiting.

There are many variables involved when we consider power conditioning, and the quality of a utility's power and a home's wiring are among them. In my experience, it's likely that whatever problem a system has with electrical power is rooted in these two variables. I'm unconvinced that "current limiting" by a properly-sized power conditioner is a factor.