View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Dennis has been perfecting an upscale version of a pre amp that we have been monkeying around with for the better part of 3 years, and as some of you may already know, is called the LP-71A.

Before I go any further, let me tell you all what Dennis has said about this new design, and I quote...

"Not only is this the best pre amp I've ever designed, but it is the best pre amp I've ever heard"

What more is there to be said?

One of the nice things is that it will run three different types of tubes interchangeably, the 12/112, the 01A and variants, and of course the 71A and it's variants. I won't try and describe how it sounds. Let Dennis' comment speak for itself...

Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr

Amps for today were a 45 SET and a PSE 6V6 prototype wired in pentode.

Here's my preamp, which I suppose one could call the original prototype on the bench. Check out that square wave... Perfect! Even with the gain turned up to 11, the sine wave is perfect and undistorted.

Finally a shot with some thoriated filament globes installed. These tend to be a bit more finicky because of the microphonics and the fragility of the innards, but they do shore look nice...
How does it differ from the CJ-5? I have one. How much better is it?

Also, do you recommend and particular tubes for the CJ-5?