View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 10:01 AM

Its going back a while now but I used to love capturing live sound on location, analogue or digital.

I'm not a 'professional' but being involved with local radio and a keen high end audiophile I’ve had the opportunity to record six commercial CD’s to date. One such example was the regular Birdland stars David Oswalds Gully Low Jazz Band. It was a live recording of the band in a giant marquee at the Nairn International Jazz Festival in Scotland.*https://ostwaldjazz.com/listen
There’s one example track to listen and to criticise there [emoji3061] (Sadly for some reason it does sound more compressed playing back the demo on my computer).
It was challenging and fun, being above and behind a large audience it required long microphone cable runs. One tip helped me along with microphone placement, I always listen with one ear blocked to hear what a single microphone hears.

On the last number a band member moved one microphone thinking it was a PA mic, nothing I could do at the back of the audience [emoji846] I didn’t use that number anyway.