View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 02:08 AM

Default DIY Sound Proofing

Any DIY'er out there. I a going to attempt to reduce sound volume escaping my HT. 20' x40' room two exteroir walls (drywall, soundboard, insulation, 8" concrete block wall with liquid expandable foam in cells, air space, real brick on exterior. The two interior wall I am curruntly addressing are sheetrock, 2x4 stud wall, R19 in wall, 5/8 sound-board and finally sheetrock for interior wall. Floor os concrete covered with hi density pad and thick carpet in front 2/3 of room and hardwood floor in back 1/3. 20' x 18' x 12" raiser on rubber feet in center of room with heavy pad and carpet.
What I plan to do is build another wall-in-a-wall. Space about 2" off existing interior wall constructed of; 3/4 hi-density MDF 4' x 8' sheets (very heavy), 2x4 stud wall, R19 or R30 in wall, another sheet of 3/4" MDF for interior wall, and maybe acoustical foam for interior finish.
Do I need R19 between original wall and outside of back new wall?
Double wall idea will cover the back wall and up about 1/3 of the back side walls.
TH was loud enough to the neighbors next door. Now we have started up a band again and as we all know, acoustic drums are loud. Then throw in bass guitar with a powerful amp/skeaker combo. And not to mention a full Marshall guitar stack. And a powerful PA for vocals and every else. Room gets loud. Neighbors ge pissed...

Any thought on the direction I'm headding with this project?

.................................................. .................................................. ...