View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 06:31 PM

I can't speak to the Gryphon, but two weeks ago I picked up a 2 month old 509x.

I've been a tube guy since about 1988 when I bought a pair of VTL Deluxe 100's and their Ultimate pre amp. I moved up the chain to the Deluxe 225's and then to the Manley 350s.

Until last year I had nothing but planers and electrostatics. I had a couple of pairs of Maggies and the Martin Logan CLX and Monolith 3's. For the past few years I've had Quad 2805s driven by a Primaluna Dialogue HP integrated. I replaced the Quads last year when our friend Ivan worked his magic on a pair of Dali Epicon 8s. I'm just saying all of this because I have a pretty good sense, (I think) of what makes electrostatics sing.

In my two short weeks with the Luxman I have no doubt that it would do the job. It's 120 watts into 8 ohms and 220 into 4 ohms. What's being written about the 509x in the reviews is real. I was stunned at how much more control the Luxman has vs my Primaluna, especially in the mid and lower bass. The top mids and top end are very easy on the ears without sacrificing any detail.

If you live anywhere near SE Washington, shoot me a PM. I'm always up for a road trip and I'll drag it over and you can give a listen.

- Bob

Dali Epicon 8, Luxman 509X, highy modified MDHT Orchid Dac, Cambridge Audio CD transport, iMac, Core Power 1800, Shunyata and Nordost cables

Last edited by jzzmusician; 04-05-2019 at 07:05 PM.