View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 11:14 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Stephen, specs say 41Hz +/- 3dB. Sounds about right to my ears. Much easier to work with monitor speakers that do not overpower the room and my room where the system will be is on the smaller side. If I feel the bass lacking, unlikely because while the Special Forty can't plumb the depths of the lower octaves, what it does, it does honestly to my ears. It just signs off politely at the 40Hz or thereabouts without creating artificial bloat and fat, flabby bass trying to. Having said that, adding a small, musical sub will certainly help if need be.
Sounds good, Serge. I didn't know the specs, but 41Hz ± 3 dB is pretty nice for a monitor that size. My Contours 3.4s are flat down to 30 Hz but a much bigger speaker. Sounds like your requirents are such that just running the Special 40s full-range would make for a very nice musical experience. I don't know how many hours the demo pair you heard had on the clock, but well run-in Dyns can be VERY nice. A small sub like the REL T-Zero might be just ticket if you decide to run a sub....
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.