Thread: Made a decision
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2022, 11:39 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
As a child I never remember my father replacing a tube, nor did I.
Nor do I, but am sure he did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I kept my MC275 all the way through med school, residency, and into practice. It performed flawlessly and there was no noticeable degradation in sound. I wish I'd never gone to solid state. I really do.
When you state "no noticeable degradation in sound" you are likely falling into the trap of not noticing something that happens slowly over many months or a few years. The incremental change is small so you don't notice. If you track hours on your tubes (I always do so) then try a new set of power tubes after 2500-3000hr and you may surprise yourself. The new set should be burned-in for 50-100hr then the old set put back in and see if you hear a difference. Of all tube amps McIntosh, due to their design, is one of the least sonically impacted by aging tubes. A good thing for the owner's wallet.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag