Thread: QHW The Vinyl
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2021, 03:05 PM

^^ I completely get your point of view on this. For my part I mostly listen to vinyl and my 2 tape decks. A few years ago when I first got the MA8000 I thought it would be a good idea to utilize its onboard DAC which was billed as being quite good. To that end I had a custom HP all in one touch PC built to my specs. It has a 2TB internal drive and I added a 4 TB external one. All run through JRiver MC20 and subsequently MC28.

One of the assistants at my office (a younger guy who received a cease and desist letter from the FBI when Napster was all the rage) would bring me a flash drive loaded with music files. Over the course of a couple of months I added thousands of files from across the music spectrum.

Sometimes on Sunday morning I'll turn the PC on and listen to some classical music or the YoYo Ma Cello Suites as basically background music. It's just something about the digital side of my system that feels like a part is missing. It's not not quite as engaging and doesn't draw me in to want to listen more the way the analog side of the system does.

I never quite understood what was so alluring to take an analog waveform then convert it to digital bits and bites and then convert it back to an analog waveform so I could listen to it through my speakes. Why not just leave it alone in the first place.

Keep us updated on The Vinyl once you have it up and running.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)