View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 11:03 AM

Default VPI Prime Setup Question

This thread has been dormant for a while. I hope this question gets noticed. A new Prime just arrived last week and so far it is a bit of a disappointment. On Friday night I set it up with my Cadenza Black and the sound was eeh. I tried several records and particularly on voice it seemed almost out of phase, certainly not what I expected. Saturday, well rested, I went back at it more carefully to ensure proper alignment of the cartridge and cantilever. This is not real easy to do with the cheesy cardboard protractor, the less than precise manner for adjustment of VTF and azimuth, and of course the instability of the single point arm bearing. But it did make a difference. My new Prime sounds much better than it did and perhaps better or at least as good overall as my KAB Technics SL1200. Of course I expect more than that. So here is my question: Has anybody used better setup equipment? Soundsmith offers something to aid azimuth and MintLP makes great protractors. Has anybody used these or similar items? Did they help?