View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
PCH1

You cannot have a discussion with someone who is using the bible or religious beliefs, covertly or not, to defend his position on a scientific subject.

Faith has no business in this discussion. That which is taken on faith is irrational. Making a statement based on statistical probability of life elsewhere is not one based on faith. Stating life does NOT exist elsewhere is based on faith. After all, WE are here. It is very self-centered and egotistical to think that we are unique.

Just because we do not yet have evidence of extraterrestrial life does not mean it doesn't exist. I was recently speaking about extraterrestrial life with a colleague of mine who is an orthopedic surgeon (presumably an intelligent guy). I asked him why he doesn't believe there is life elsewhere in the universe. His reply was "I just can't." I pushed him for a reason. He told me he has to believe the earth is unique because not believing that would put him in opposition to his religion.

This topic is one rife for mental masturbation.
It's all good, I have nothing against religious beliefs though I myself am an AGNOSTIC.

The Vatican however does not exactly oppose the idea of life on other planets.

Painting by well known and Vatican-connected artist Aert de Gelder showing a UFO illuminating the baptism of Christ. Considering his access to rare Vatican relics, writings and information protected from public view, is he telling us something about the true nature of Jesus and his origins that has been hidden from us?