Thread: Unexpected Hum
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2022, 07:46 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Aren't the phono tubes dedicated in the C2300? You might swap them and see if the hum moves.
Yes they are. The hum sounds very much like ground hum; that it goes up and down with the volume suggests it's in the signal path.

Re-routing the tonearm cable is another idea. And since the cartridge is low output I can use the 2300's MC input as well, and am planning to try that. If things are fine, then I would try swapping the tubes in the MM input, as you suggest. The cartridge (a Grado Timbre Sonata3) plays with either.

If the MC input works, that should eliminate the tonearm cable/grounding as the culprit, leaving either the MM tubes or the input itself. I'm no tech, but that's how it seems to me. Will report back after more tests.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks