View Single Post
Old 11-01-2021, 08:23 PM

I have heard both but in different locations and times. I really liked the S5 except the lower reads and Euphonium and cello weren't quite right with SS amps. Even a Mac 2301 still didn't work for me but little MC 275 IV was the perfect match though the highs were a little suppressed. The A5 sounded great with SS amps I thought. With a S5 using SS and if you using a smaller space I wouldn't hesitate to use the A5 for larger space and the right amps maybe a a pair of 275 in mono the S5 would be my choice. Or you might like the older Mac SS amps with autoformers. Both speakers are very sensitive to room placement so that might make for more of a difference in sound than changing amps. I made the dealers move the speakers a bit to get warmer sounds in both cases. I was listening at 12 watt levels at 12 ft distance in both cases, Yes there were some 50 to 60 watt peaks, but that didn't bother the 275 which could put out close to 95 watts before clipping. I love Magico tweeters. They are the only dome tweeters that are metallic that I can tolerate.