View Single Post
Old 09-06-2021, 04:46 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
Colleagues,

I picked up a copy of of Hi-Fi + magazine the other day ( a magazine I don't usually read} because it had an article on learning to love classical music, part 1.

As you probably know I am a poster boy for for classical music and whether or not I agree with the writer of Hi-Fi+ articles, I wanted to ask you, my fellow AudioAficionado-ites your thoughts on why classical music is not liked by more people.

Are we effete snobs, who demand Dom Perignon with our foie de gras or do we like our steak and fries with an IPA.

I would like to hear you comments before I give my response.

Happy Listening,

Gaius Petronius

Salve Petronius!

Yes, we are a bit of a snob.

For me, it is simple.
I can listen to classical all day.
To pop music: one album is enough, two in my best days.
But classical is an acquired taste, even more so than jazz, which is also niche.
Pop music is much more easily digestible.
Rhythms are simpler, melodies can be sung along by most people - try to do that with Bach's 'das musikalische Opfer'...

I think that people would like it better, if they were exposed more at a really young age.
Certainly a task for schools.
And parents.
I did my best...

Happy listening indeed.

Bartholomeus.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables