View Single Post
Old 06-10-2022, 05:23 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
My understanding is that an acrylic platter, especially a high-mass one, will tend to mate well with a vinyl record and damp vibrations, especially if a clamp or weight is used. It will also be less subject to external vibration. My experience is that, with a high-mass acrylic platter, coupling the vinyl directly to the platter is very effective.

On the other hand, a lighter metallic platter will have a greater tendency to ring and transmit external vibration to the vinyl, may also reflect vibration from the vinyl/stylus back to the stylus, and therefore may benefit more from a good mat that can provide some damping effect. There are a variety of materials that work well in this case, including rubber, felt, cork, paper, carbon fiber, and various combinations. Also there will be a greater tendency for slippage between the record and platter with metal and other very hard surfaces (e.g. Rega ceramic platters). The one truism for me is that felt sucks[emoji41] - after that, I don't think there's any one simple answer or best mat, it can depend on the mat material and construction, the table and platter, and your taste.
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser