View Single Post
Old 12-16-2022, 12:43 PM

The 300B-v is my only single ended amp in my collection right now. I personally use it direct, one source, with the built in gain adjustment knob. It sounds just beautiful for low volume listening. When the family is sleeping and everything is quiet, there is just nothing like it. Midrange is so natural yet detailed at the same time. Not one hint of harshness, ever. The midrange just sounds so natural and sweet with this amp. It's almost like the difference between a singer singing out of an amplified system with PA speakers vs singing in your living room, unamplified, quiet and direct, etc. Hopefully that makes sense. I need to get some more efficient speakers to give a proper review. I'm still using the factory tubes Dennis shipped with it. No plans to change the Western Electric 300B's. I wouldn't mind changing out the Russian 6SL7 or playing around with the rectifier, hence my questions above. And the 16 ohm Zu Audio speakers look tempting to me. I was just concerned that the 16ohm impedance might not be ideal for my 300B-v amplifier. All my other tube amps have taps for 4 ohm, 8 ohm, 16 ohm. Beings Dennis uses single taps, I was debating whether or not the Zu speakers would be a great match.