View Single Post
Old 10-31-2023, 10:09 PM
Semi-audiophile

Attachment 69626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
While I have a C22 rather than C2300, I've found that tube-rolling with new production gold-pin Tung-Sol and Gold Lion (all fully tested) made a very nice improvement in SQ. Blacker background and more "there, there" (in my non-pro review). I've felt no need to go with an external phono-preamp with my Ortofon Cadenza Black and a half-dozen other cartridges. YMMV.

EDIT - I see you are using JJ's Telefunken tubes. Not sure the others would gain you anything other than a slightly 'different' SQ.
That's what I found when going to the Telefunkens from the Gold Lions. Both are good, but the Telefunkens sounded more dynamic to me, important since my system doubles as a home theater. I think you've just helped me back off the idea of an outboard phono, at least for now. I haven't been playing records, though I've been buying lately, including a Roberta Gambarini limited edition release just last week titled "Easy to Love." That's 18 LPs in about 4 weeks. I need to stop buying and start listening; there was a backlog even before those 18.

I'd think I would have to spend at least $1500–$2000 to get better than what I have with the 2300's built-in phono. The idea of an outboard unit has come and gone several times over the last couple of years. I don't seem to get rid of the idea completely.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks