View Single Post
Old 07-05-2022, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
1st: Better Ethernet cable. My reco is Shunyata Venom-X or if you have funds to go higher up the chain, then Alpha, Sigma or Omega Ethers, depending on your budget.

2nd: Better clock: Get the AfterDark clock for about ~$550 or so (I forgot the exact price). Connect it to the clock port of your EtherREGEN. This will make a BIG difference. The AfterDark Master Clock brought a big improvement to the sound quality of my digital streaming set-up. Like...a BIG improvement.

3rd: Get the AfterDark linear power supply for powering the AfterDark clock *and* your EtherREGEN. They're only ~$275 and they're also really excellent. In fact, I'm going replace the Keces P3 that powers my SOtM SMS-200 UltraNeo with another AfterDark LPS, because the AfterDark LPS just flat smokes it with respect to sound quality. And it's cheaper at $275.

Also, the Denali will bring a significant improvement over the Furman. Be sure to use a good PC for it, minimally Shunyata Delta XC, but notably better with an Alpha or Sigma XC (this makes a big difference because the higher-spec PC provides more charge for the QR/BB device in Denali). Once you get the Denali, be sure to connect a good quality ground cable from the ground terminal on the EtherREGEN to the the GP-NR terminal on your Denali. This also provide a notable increase in audio quality.

Hope this helps...
That helps a LOT, thank you for the suggestions! I have a few questions as follow-up:
  1. I noticed you didn't list the Delta option among the Shunyata ethernet line, any reason why I should pass it over? I feel the step to Venom would immediately put myself in "shoulda gone higher" territory, so I suppose I'm looking toward the Alpha...
  2. That AfterDark LPS is really tempting (as is the Uptone JS-2), but I remember reading that it's poor form to power both the ER and its clock from the same LPS unit because the external clock port is on the other side of the ER "moat", thereby circumventing the isolation effect of the moat. Thoughts on that notion?
  3. For that same isolation reason, I don't have the ER plugged into the Furman with the rest of my downstream system, but instead I've got it plugged direct to wall on a separate circuit -- I was hoping to someday pick up one of those 2-plug Hydra PCs or something similar to use it with. Are these concerns now considered unfounded, because I'd much rather have the ER powered through the Furman (and eventually the Denali).