View Single Post
Old 01-23-2023, 03:56 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC View Post
Is Sinn pronounced Zin in za German? if it is German.
Yes, it is. Most folks don't know that.

Helmut Sinn was a Luftwaffe fighter pilot, who, after WWII, became a blind flying instructor (flying strictly IFR, that is) and was not happy with the quality of both Swiss cockpit clocks and watches for flying applications, so he started Sinn Spezialuhren in 1961 to make watches and cockpit clocks. It was then acquired by Lothar Schmidt in the 90's and he took the company into producing a broader range of watches, and also implemented new technologies that are still unique to Sinn e.g. their Tegimentaton technology, their AR Dehumidying Technology, and their Antimagnetic technology. Many Sinn watches offer extreme protection against magnetism up to 80,000 A/m. Sinn achieves these results using a number of different technologies, including special case and case back construction, soft iron components in the case and protective rings surrounding the movement. They also have watches (e.g. my U50) made out of German Submarine Steel, which was procured by Sinn from a steel supplier to Emden GmbH, one of Germany’s North Sea shipbuilding yards who construct submarines from the very same steel. Because of the special steel used from the submarine steel manufacturer, the case resists the effects of exposure to salt water and salt water environments.

They also have an oil-free escapement technology called Diapal; watches with these movements run accurately for exceedingly long intervals between services, because their are no lubricants to break down, cause wear of part that require servicing.

Sinn also makes application-specific watches for German "special forces" brigades, inluding the GSG9 Dive Unit, e.g. their EZM3 (which I also own; shown here). BTW, my EZM3 is consistently the most accurate and precise mechanical I've ever owned or used, it keeps to +0.75 sec/day, which is crazy accurate for a mechanical. The watch can also be reliably used for much longer between service intervals without wearing the parts in the movement, because the lubricants do not break down due to the ingress of water molecules inside the case due to the AR Dehumidifying technology.

The EZM 3 has an inert gas atmosphere inside and a copper sulfate capsule that keeps moisture from causing the crystal to fog up in cold water environments, like this one with the GSG9 divers doin' their thang...

Their EZM 7 is for German Fire Brigades...

The colored scales specify how long a fireman can safely be inside a burning buidlng using specific types of breathing equipment.

And their EZM 12 for Air Medical Rescue Teams. The EZM 12 has a "PulsRotor" that make it easy for the EMT to check a patient's pulse...

Like I said, Sinn doesn't f**k around...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-23-2023 at 04:44 AM.