View Single Post
Old 12-22-2021, 11:12 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by longinc View Post
Hi Puma_cat,

I actively considering getting my first First Sound preamp from Emmanuel. I currently have a Shindo Massetto preamp. A great preamp, but I looking for a stronger dose of realism, presence and clarity. I am drawn to Emmanuel's approach (stiff power supply, circuit simplicity/signal purity and excellent volume control). I had a few local audiophile mention it, but I have never heard his preamps, and there is very little press about them since he takes an artisan small business approach relying on word of mouth (vs heavy marketing). I am curious how you ended up deciding on a First Sound? Did you consider others before landing on the First Sound? Any info, advice, sound impressions much appreciated. Happy to connect over private message too but since I am new to the forum, I can't initiate a private message.
Hi Longinc,
I decided on a First Sound after a friend lent me his for about 4 months to use in my own system. I had a Conrad-Johnson CT-5 preamp at the time, and while the CT-5 was, and is, an excellent preamp, it simply can't hold a candle to a First Sound preamp, for any attribute one would care to discuss. As for the Shindo, a friend of mine had the Shindo Giscours, and I felt my CT-5 was every bit the equal of the Shindo.

The First Sound is in another league altogether than either of those preamps.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.