View Single Post
Old 10-31-2021, 06:32 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Hi Peter, I was listening again to Kind of Blue in 360 and I would say that it's more like having the musicians around you in a surround mode, but not exactly in a circle.

The most realistic sound effect comes from the drums, you can visualise Jimmy Cobb playing right in front of you, to your right. Miles Davis is blowing his trumpet right on top of your head, sometimes you feel he's in your head, that feels a little strange. The other musicians seem to be placed rather at the back of your head, Bill Evans' piano on the left, John Coltrane and Cannonball Adderley saxophones very clearly on each side. Paul Chambers' double bass sits behind you, a little faded.

So I don't know if 360 is the best way to describe it, I would say there is a real holographic feel, also a sense of palpability, but the musicians are not in a perfect circle, some of them are positioned above your head so it can feel awkward at times.

I guess like everything in audio, our brain gets used to it and after a while probably starts enjoying this new presentation
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser