View Single Post
Old 12-22-2020, 08:26 PM
Blown & Injected

I have some ideas. The SUT may be able to be repaired.

After sleeping on this, I thought - I wonder if the RCA cables I've tried simply do not fit the unit properly? Two seconds and I found the problem - yep, the shield of the RCA comes into contact with the chassis of the C200 itself when the RCAs are plugged in. [The shield of the RCAs on the SUT is floated for obvious reasons.] Closer inspection showed that the holes in the chassis of the C200 were simply not large enough to allow for proper cable insertion. In addition, the SUT appeared to be mounted in the chassis in such a way that the clearance on one side was much tighter than the left. So, my plan was to simply remove the SUT, enlarge the holes one size with a step drill, and then remount it straight.

Well . . . that's when I found the real problem . . .

When I removed the cover, the SUT was swung over the the left by about 30 degrees. I was like - what in the hell? The long and short of it is that this SUT, which originally appeared in the C100, is simply not a good mechanical fit into the chassis of the C200 - which is oddly enough, significantly larger. During assy of the C200, a screw was removed from one corner of the housing of the SUT which fouled with the sheet metal of the C200 chassis, prohibiting it from fitting into its location. Bingo - no problem. It fits now . . . Well, sort of . . .

The removal of this screw allowed for the chassis of the SUT to swing open during transit, shearing the ground lead from the RCA jacks to the PCB and bending up that whole assy. All lead free solder, so I'm unable to repair it myself. I was able to locate a screw in my Mc stash which was a perfect fit with a head about 1/3 of the height - perfect. I did also enlarge the holes in the chassis to allow for clearance for the RCA cables.

I am working with McIntosh for resolve. Wish me luck!