Thread: D-07x dac
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Music Provides Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Karl
The D-07 was as good as the DAC's in the MCD-1100 and much better than the those in the MCD-500. I guess two guys on the internet must not have liked it.
Jim --- Fair enough. I suppose it is unfair to make such generalizations based on a few reviews and without hearing the unit.

Objectively, however, JA's measurements simply did not look nearly as good as the at-release (much less current) state of the art for the D-07 and the unit has now been discounted to 1/2 the release price.... I suspect there's a reason they tweaked and released the D-07X!

I think asking about what exactly the upgrades and sonic impacts comprise are fair questions, no?

I now remember that you tried the D-07. Assuming the D-07X improves even slightly on the sound, is it something you'd recommend for ~$5k.... or do you think waiting for an updated Wadia 500 series would be wise?

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.

Last edited by kfr01; 11-03-2012 at 07:45 PM.