View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 06:11 PM

I can vouch for that...had the Ultra5s with my TAD R1s...a sonic match made in heaven so to speak. Tightened up the bass as well as the total imaging result.

One thing I will warn about...the bolt that goes into the Ultra5 itself has a very small diameter head if memory serves compared to the rest of the bolt. This is one aspect of the design that is seriously flawed IMHO when working with a heavy load. It means that when you tilt to move the speaker, you must be careful to not tilt in such a way that you cause the Ultra5 to remain flat and the bolt and attach point to be at an angle. With a heavy speaker, such a force vector would be highly undesirable given the small size of the area at the bolt-Ultra5 connection. In other words, if you are not careful you could snap the bolt off inside the Ultra5 or worse yet (IM O), in the bottom of the speaker if the speaker is heavy enough and/or the angle of tilt is enough.

Best to position and tune your speakers without the Ultra5s and then lift them vertically with a jack or straps, then attach all at once, lower them down and leave them in place. This is leaving their spikes out of the equation and yes, they work great on carpet without spikes as well as hardwood.

If memory serves after trying and experimenting Ivan told me he skips this problem by simply resting heavy speakers like the R1 on the Ultra5, no connector bolt.

Carpet and Ultra5 spikes...tried this combination,...the problems above are exacerbated and made much more risky if you buy SP spikes and try to use them. They dig in even harder and faster; I think the problem together with the above is evident.

In short, Ultra5s are fantastic..and if my new speaker did not have purpose-designed footers already integrated I would definitely be looking at using Ultra5s again with past lessons learned factored in.

FWIW...the commentary above is applicable for 200lb or in my case with the R1, 300lb+ speakers. Less massive speakers MAY be less affected.

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 06-17-2020 at 08:42 PM.