View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lax View Post
saw the moon last night with my 26 MM eyepiece it was great ...when I used the 4 mm I couldn't see a thing
Great to hear that we have a new stargazer! I have been stargazing for 3 decades with a lot of different telescopes.

The 4 mm gives you a whopping magnification of x312 and that is pushing the 90 mm optics far to much in almost every case (and I have owned the ETX). The image will be very dark, incredible hard to get focused and because of the narrow field of view the object will move very fast. Also, if you have x312 every little touch on the telescope or the tripod will be magnified with that amount so it is very hard to follow the object or actually see it, because it only takes a little touch and it will take seconds for the vibrations to disappear.

Try the 4mm on Saturn or Jupiter if you want to test it...That is, honestly, the only object it can work on, if your skies are perfect. And try to test it on a far away earthly object on the middle of the day. That will give you a pretty clear idea why it is almost impossible to use x312 with 90mm optics on stellar objects. And of course, donīt put the view near the sun because the intensity of the rays can make you blind.

Last edited by MasterChief; 05-04-2015 at 02:18 PM.