View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 03:44 AM
Member of the Music Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Let me be the party pooper today.

This afternoon, I had the chance to extensively compare an 8K turntable set-up with a 10K digital front end.

Turntable: a Dr Feickert with a very good arm and cartridge, phonostage from Hegel.
Digital: Grimm MU1.
Integrated/DAC: Hegel H590.

We listened to audiophile pressings (e.g. Mobile Fidelity) and then the same album on Qobuz (mostly 24/96).

We agreed the Dr Feickert produced a really nice sound, a joy to listen to.
But when we did some critical comparisons, digital won by a wide margin.
Quieter, better soundstage, better placement of instruments, more dynamic.
More bite, better transients.

My dealer said with quite some pop/rock albums, digital looses because of compression (loudness war), but with classical, jazz, and other acoustic music, and well produced rock, digital has surpassed vinyl and tape in all aspects. I can understand him now.

After the critical listening, we continued listening to vinyl, just because it's so nice to do so! Nostalgia certainly plays a role here, and touching those beautiful objects does something with a (more than 50 years old) person.

When I take a vinyl album in my hand, especially the audiophile and special editions, I sense the value.
It's obvious.
You certainly don't get that with dematerialised music.

But I've decided a while ago that I'll keep my funds for investing in digital, and when you consider the prices of those top vinyl albums, collecting vinyl certainly isn't cheap.
Bart, thanks for sharing this audition/comparaison! But I see that you had been tempted

I do agree that digital has become extremely good, so good that IMHO one can now hardly compare digital and analog rigs at the same price point... you might have to spend 2x the amount on the analog rig to get you to the same level as the digital one.

Having said that I think a turntable, even if doesn't sound as good as the latest digital front end, serves very well the purpose of playing an existing LP collection, or for someone who enjoys the fun of hunting/collecting used records, especially ones that are not available on streaming, download or CD. But I would probably not pursue it if the only purpose was to listen to new LP releases also available in digital form.
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser