View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 08:27 PM

I have to say until I heard the M40.2s, I didn't care much for the other Harbeths I did hear before - including the Compact 7 and the SuperHL5.

I always thought the combined mid/bass RADIAL driver was trying to do too much and ended up muddying the bass. I understand that they were trying to extend the lower frequencies on the LS3/5 design but it just felt off to me.

The M40.2 changed all that. The RADIAL driver was now just acting fully as a midrange driver and what a glorious midrange it produced. The bass from the dedicated woofer was convincing without intruding on the mids.

I also really like the M30.2. Like the M40.2, the RADIAL driver works more like a midrange driver, and is tuned not to extend as low as the Compact7/SuperHL5.

The tontrager stands are also a brilliant design. Unlike other brands which try to create an inert cabinet (Magico et al), Harbeth designed the cabinet to have its own natural resonance, and the little raised corners on the tontrager stands allow even the bottom panel of the cabinet to resonate.

Congrats on finding an awesome system that you also love.

Last edited by doggiehowser; 02-22-2019 at 08:29 PM.