View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinpsycho View Post
I guess this also applies to speaker wire and RCA cables....Is there a sound difference between speaker wire costing over thousand of dollars vs speaker wire that is less than $1 per foot in the same wire thickness?
I suppose to a degree as long as you are talking same construction materials and methods and the only difference is the cable gauge. Once you start comparing different manufacturers that use different materials, etc. it becomes more of a grey area and in some cases apples to oranges.

For amps as long the design is the same and the wattage stays the same then the one with the higher wattage is just that, capable of more output so it should sound the same. There can be a caveat here, for example Bryston amps run there 1st few percentage of watts in Class A then switch over to AB, I think it's between 5% and 10% so at lower volumes for example a 28B may be running in Class A where say a 3B or 4B would be in AB mode at the same wattage so there can be audible differences because of that. Once both are in AB at a given wattage then there should be little to no difference.

Now if you are comparing amps from a manufacturer that are clearly different designs then like SS to tube it's apples to oranges as far as I'm concerned and there ma very well be differences.