View Single Post
Old 10-11-2022, 07:04 PM
Retired

Default Visit VAS, Cliffwood, NJ

I have a couple of cartridges I want to sell and decided they were worthy of a check-up by Steve Leung at his company VAS. As is only 90min up the road, a friend and I paid Steve a visit to drop off the carts and see Steve's operation. To put it in a word............. amazing. Steve is not just a consummate cartridge guru, he is collector of pretty much everything audio. We listened to his redone Denon 103 with a wood body on a 12" VPI TA on a tweaked fly-wheel drive TNT and it was amazing how well done it was thru his SUT into an ARC preamp and a pair of Steve's H-K monoblock amps driving a pair of B&W 802D3s. I can say without a doubt that this was the best I've ever heard a pair of B&W speakers sound.
And.......... Steve convinced me that I should let him work on my Lyra Kleos and to put a new stylus in my Dynavector XX2 MKII. I've not thought that highly of either and he promises that his magic will transform them.
Steve has 40,000+ LPs and just slightly less in vintage & new gear (well.... 100 pieces of gear, or so) between his shop and home. Some amazing pieces, like original WE 300B amps made for the cinema and the military.
A really fun visit, topped off with a visit to VPI, which is next door.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SteveL.jpg (96.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Mark.jpg (96.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg VAS Cart.jpg (90.9 KB, 81 views)
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag