View Single Post
Old 09-10-2022, 11:23 AM

Years ago before I bought my XVX, I was in serious discussions with my dealer to go from my Maxx3 to an XLF. This lasted at least 2 months. The price was decided upon and I was ready to pull the trigger. Then I got cold feet and backed out. I just couldn't see enough upgrade between the Alexandria X-2 and the XLF. I liked the Ti tweeter. Unlike some I was always pleased with Wilson treble and the bass and midrange were impeccable with my Maxx3.

Then I bought an Alexx which I was very pleased with. I remember asking Wilson about the ruggedness of the Alexx compared to the Maxx3. It turned out that the Alexx was even more rugged and could play significantly louder without compression. My only criticism was not getting the CSMK II tweeter, the WAMM tweeter.

When I saw the XVX, it was love at first sight and I knew I had to have it.

The main thing I see with Wilson under Daryl Wilson, is the comprehensiveness of the redesign of the speaker. I would say that Daryl and his design team place as much emphasis on new driver design as they do with the rest of the speaker. This was not the case under the "old" Wilson, where I felt it was the cabinet and crossovers where the emphasis was placed. There's only so much you can do with the rear chamber of a tweeter.

The original Maxx3 was priced at 69K. If I had to choose between it and the new Alexia, it would be a tough choice because the Maxx3 was so good top to bottom. I suspect the Alexia would be significantly more resolving and just as dynamic. This also points to the lasting value you acquire when you buy a Wilson speaker. Yes, they cost more but I believe they are worth every penny.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 09-10-2022 at 11:26 AM.