View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 04:30 PM

Default Auralic vs Lumin and other questions

I can’t speak to the sound of either specific unit, although I’ve heard several Auralic products over the years and they sounded very good. They both get good reviews. LUMIN started out as a knockoff of Linn’s streamers, who really were the pioneers in high-end streaming along with Logitech. Both Lumin and Auralic use the OpenHome protocol originally developed by Linn and now open source. Both have their own apps, although Linn’s app and many other UPnP apps will also work with them. None of the apps can compare to Roon in terms of usability and features.

Along with my Linn streamers, I also use an Auralic Aries Mini, an UltraRendu, and a Squeezebox Touch. I’ve used Linn’s Kazoo server software, Logitech Media Server, JRiver, MinimServer and Roon. Before Roon, Minimserver was my favorite because of its flexibility and configurability, but as long as streaming was via Ethernet or Wi-Fi from server to streamer, I’ve never heard a meaningful or repeatable difference in sound. The server and networking hardware have had a much bigger impact, especially getting Roon and LMS onto a dedicated device (SonicTransporter).

Bottom line, Id be surprised if, in the same price range, you’d hear a meaningful difference between those units. I’d pick based on the features that best fit your needs.

Things to keep in mind:
Auralic has committed to IOS, so they don’t have an android control app.
Auralic, like Linn, has also put a stake in the ground re MQA. They say it’s because of the DRM issue, but it may also be because they just don’t want to pay the fees to the Stuart cabal, but if you care about MQA, the Lumin is your choice.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2