View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 AM

Default How it works

To answer the many inquiries I continue to get about these units:

The Exactpower units are not power conditioners. They are not voltage regulators (although they incorporate voltage regulation) and they protect from power surges by taking the equipment offline rather than trying to block the surge.

And strictly speaking, they are not regenerators either. Like regenerators, they DO produce perfect AC power; i.e., a perfect waveform curve, without any line-borne noise at a constant 120VAC 60Hz. But they do so with near-perfect efficiency. Old-fashioned regenerators like those from PS Audio and APS are only about 50% efficient, which is why they get hot, and often require cooling fans.

Regenerators take AC wall power and convert it ALL to DC. Then the DC is used to create all new AC from scratch. This can be done with transformers and rectifiers, or in the case of heavy-duty industrial applications, with a motor-generator unit. It's a perfectly good but HIGHLY INEFFICIENT process, and certainly NOT very 'green' And, there's really no reason to start from scratch like that, because AT ITS WORST, the waveform of our utility power here in the US is 80% OK.

The patented Exactpower design uses a microprocessor to analyze the incoming (60 cycle per second) AC waveform; but at thousands of times per second. If that 20% or less I mentioned of the 60Hz sine wave is not smooth, or has noise on it, has voltage peaks or sags (compared to the ideal, by the microprocessor) that information is 'fed-forward' to an amplifier that corrects JUST THOSE PARTS THAT ARE OUT OF WHACK, and inserts JUST THOSE CORRECTED PARTS OF THE WAVEFORM back into the AC power cycle. It does not throw the baby out with the bathwater as typical regerators do.

I hope that answers everyone's questions.

Last edited by nsgarch; 08-14-2009 at 12:18 PM.