View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWInsall View Post
How about a MC-830. Close to 400 watts 8 ohms before the power Guard comes on and 600 watts at 4 ohms. I use two of them for my XRT 28's. I rarely use more than 60 watts unless its for a source containing a lot of big peaks. They are cleaner on the high end than the two channels of my 207's I was using temporarily. I thought about getting a pre-owned 452, but I didn't need to be dealing with that much weight. The 830's are bad enough. Reconfiguring my two 207's was was a
struggle for sure and I didn't want that again.
This is a great suggestion. I didn’t know that this amp existed and looks perfect for the job (other than not having autoformers to match the MC462). So my two options are:

1) Get an MC830 for the center and use the MC462 for the fronts and my already owned non-McIntosh amps to power the rest.

2) Get an MC8207 or MC257 and run the center and rest of the system off of that.

I’m leaning toward option 1. Can you clarify the numbers though? Your 400w at 8 ohm and 600w at 4 ohm numbers are much higher than the McIntosh ratings. Are they just very underrated?