View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 09:31 AM

I acquired my opinion on this subject many years ago and it's the same today. Using multiple expensive and overpowered amps to drive relatively inefficient speakers in a home theater system is overkill and a waste of my hard earned dollars. Regardless of how large your theater room may be, one good quality multi-channel amp paired with good quality efficient speakers is all you need for today's movies. I've experienced some $100k plus mega theater systems that were able to drive me out of the room with ear melting volume levels, while leaving me underwhelmed and glad that I never went down that path with my own system. I've always placed a higher priority on one main 2 channel amp/preamp to drive my 2 main higher end speakers. 2 channel music is where I do all of what I consider to be critical listening. Pairing that setup with a decent/less expensive multi-channel amp and high efficiency speakers for movies, is the most practical and fulfilling approach for me. Remember folks, we're talking about movies here where dynamics are more important than actual sound quality and accuracy. Today's moderately priced and powered multi-channel amps from manufacturer's like Marantz and Anthem are more than capable of standing toe-to-toe with their higher priced and powered competitors when watching movies or TV. I'm not trying to tell everyone how to spend their money, but I just cringe when people are led down a crooked and uneven gold brick road.

Last edited by jayvis1; 04-06-2021 at 09:34 AM.