Thread: K-01XD Review
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2021, 12:11 PM

My thoughts and impressions is that the level of Esoteric's digital since the k series was launched which i owned the K-01 and after, the K-01x.

If there was anything apart for the great balance, resolution, detail the K-01 was lacking, was a point where i was searching for and found it with the K-01x.

The nagging feeling that the K-01 was slighlty lacking was openess and more extension especially in the higher frequencies, detail in the high frequencies was there impressively in spades.

Until recently, a short shootout between the K-01x and the xd revealed how far Esoteric has moved.

Yes, the xd mare more organic browner tone in the midrange, warmer as some would say.

Their are crunchy sweet apple compared to fabulous sweet juicy orange!

I could not pick based on performance within 30 seconds as they both perform at such a high level, but the presentation represented such a sideway departure that the new direction in sound would require a more critical system matching.

Esoteric has always been loved for a more neutral presentation, i cannot say the same for the X series and prior which was outright stone cold in the midrange imo, now shifts to this warmer presentation.

To me it has gravitated more towards the warmer dacs direction, such emmlab, luxman, but still retain the touch reminiscent of the neutrality Esoterics previous offerings.

But nothing comes without its pros and cons, not in a negative way, but as in all things high end; be it cables, speakers, amps, preamps etc. There is no prefection, not which i am seeking and found in any perfect product before providing the wide open staging, extension of highs and lows, dynamics and alam and yet have a holistic warm and luscious vocal....

I would conclude that where one has a less warm sounding equipment /system, the k-01xd will be a napshot fit.