View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Semi-audiophile

During that first 30 hours I got a Mosaic box set, The Complete Atlantic Studio Recordings of the Modern Jazz Quartet 1956–64. I believe that vibes are a good test instrument to try with tubes. On the initial tracks the vibes sounded close to milk bottles, a bit hard. After 4 of the 7 CDs, the sound of the vibes began to smooth out a bit, and were more tuneful. Good stuff. I must get around to the other 3 CDs.

Some have thought MJQ wasn't really jazz. But it's good music, easy to listen to and especially so if i want music to mellow out with. I find MJQ and Antonio Carlos Jobim at the head of my list for such things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0141.jpg (90.6 KB, 43 views)
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks