View Single Post
Old 04-29-2020, 11:43 PM

Default SACD Player With Hi Res Coax SPDIF Output

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
My report covers what I did while I had the unit. What sort of transport are you referring to that will output DSD over S/PDIF or USB?

My current digital system, which is based on a high end CD-only transport (Kalista) feeding a fairly high end DAC (totalDac d1-12 MkII), provides a highly engaging and musical sound for my tastes.

But I do have a lot SACDs. So part of the reason for my question was that I was trying to determine whether it would be worthwhile to explore a high end SACD transport alternative to the Kalista. Or whether a fairly inexpensive Oppo/DBOB transport feeding a high end DAC would provide a reasonably priced, alternative to a higher end SACD transport feeding the same high end DAC. Especially, when the Oppo/DBOB already provides an excellent vehicle for playing BluRay music videos.

In my case, I have only been able to compare an Oppo 203 (SACD)-> HDMI->DBOB->Optical->totalDac d1-12 mkII combo versus a Kalista (CD only) transport->AES->totalDac d1-12 MkII; where the Oppo played the SACD layer and the Kalista played the CD layer of the same disc.

Although the Kalista/totalDac combo playing red book CDs was more refined than the oppo/DBOB playing SACDs, the latter was not far behind; and there is still room to improve its performance (the optical and HDMI cables used with the Oppo/DBOB were of much lesser quality, and the OPPO/DBOB is unmodified).

So when I was asking about an apples-to-apples comparison, I was curious if you had an opportunity to compare the Oppo/DBOB with any other SACD transports, especially higher end ones, that can output digital in resolution grater than 16/44 (either DSD/DoP or 24/192 PCM) where both transports were feeding the same DAC.

Last edited by cmarin; 04-30-2020 at 12:27 AM.