View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Let’s dissect what you have experienced. What do you think the Fathom/Venere combo lacked?

How have you placed the sub, set the levels, crossover points and adjusted the phase of the Fathom?
@crwilli , GREAT questions and thanks for asking.

So, actually, I haven't played with various placements of the Fathom F113 v1, because I like it smack dab in the middle of a 2.1 channel setup. It just feels like the sound field is unbalanced when a sub is NOT in the middle (no matter how I tweak the sub's settings & crossover etc).

I don't know if its because it bothers my OCD with symmetry whenever a sub is NOT centered, that my brain has me believe I hear (albeit psycho-acoustically) an unbalance sound field (bass off-center). Or if low frequencies really are off center & not blended well at the prime listening position. That said, it's not the best reason to have the sub always in the middle of a 2 channel setup. But it's my reason.

This approach works for me with my main system: B&W 800 D2 with a single F113 v1 Fathom centered between them. The 800 D2 and F113 are dialed in "perfectly" (for my taste) such that the 800 D2 roll off right where the Fathom can roll in and I experience audio nirvana as a result.

When I had the Tannoy PS350 paired with the Venere 3 it gave me a similar feeling of audio nirvana. And in this case the Tannoy sub was also centered between the left & right speakers.

When I tried to use the Fathom F113 v1 with the Venere 3, the Fathom sounded too punchy (not natural nor smooth to me) at its top frequencies. (I had the F113's crossover set at its highest frequency setting of 130hz). And punchy bass at its top frequencies notwithstanding, it still sounded like there were frequencies I was missing that the Venere 3 was not producing (at least loudly enough) and that the Fathom was not producing either.

I guess the next best thing I could do would be to get a mic, & measure a frequency sweep of the Venere 3 so I'd know at what frequency they begin to roll off at my primary listening position.

And then measure at what frequency the Fathom rolls in at where I don't feel it sounds unnatural to me.

Then overlay the 2 curves to see where I have a dip in frequencies.

Or is there another way I should go about this?

Last edited by the1010boy; 10-10-2021 at 08:31 PM.