View Single Post
Old 01-05-2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Like MHDT Labs, Denafrips makes R2R DACs, though I do not recall if they use tube(s). In the review of a couple of their models in a fairly recent "Stereophile" the Denafrips models were compared to a 3rd R2R DAC, whose mfgr/model I've forgotten. Easy enough to search the Stereophile archives online if interested. Do recall that both companies, like MHDT, offer a few different DACs.
That third R2R DAC is the Holo May which I picked up xmas eve and I must say it is superb. It is out of the ops price range though. Before that I was using a Denafrips Ares2 which I bought second hand to try out a R2R. Very nice DAC, analogue sound, very clear vocals and nice soundstage. It does miss out on the high end treble and micro details though. For the price I would recommend though.

The Holo May on the other hand covers all of the above better but has the high end treble and micro details. Soundstage is also fantastic. I ended up going with this DAC from the online reviews and it measures well too. The noise floor is black in tracks with silence in them.