View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfine View Post
I am starting to look for new speakers. My room is 14x17. I have to have it set up to listen across the short dimension and the long wall has about 16 in deep in half height cabinetry in front of which would go the speakers. This gives me about a 8 foot per side equilateral triangle. My list to check out includes Canton Ref 9K, Dynaudio Special 40, B&W 805d3, Bryston Mini T and possibly Aerial 5t. I’ve always wondered about Harbeth but never had a chance to hear them. I’m using a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Integrated with KT120s. The Harbeths are a little inefficient but the listening distance and room is small. Are the 30.2s too big for the room and distance or too inefficient for the PL? (I’ve thought about upgrading to the HP but I’m in Miami and concerned about the heat although my Dialogue Premium doesn’t seem too bad in that respect and it is using the 120s).

Thoughts?

Thanks
Those dimensions should work. I tried the 30.2 in a 12x15 and although they did not couple to the walls as bad as some other speakers would, they did sound warmer then they should which gave them a slight chestiness and nasal quality on female vocals. They just needed a bit more room to sound natural. Im very picky though and it has to sound perfect to my ears.

As far as the PrimaLuna, have no doubt it will drive them easily in a room your size. My 30.2 are now in a 26x31 room and even in Triode mode they fill the room with balanced sound effortlessly. The HP is a very ballsy tube amp and the other models should be good too. Have a listen to the 30.2 and see if they do it for you.