View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 12:07 PM

My journey is family lore. When I was about four years old (pre-K) my mom sat me down to hear "Peter & The Wolf" on the radio. FM. My dad was an EE and we had a Harmon-Kardon integrated amp, H-K tuner (both tube, of course) and a Garrard turntable with an Empire cartridge. University coaxial speakers in bass reflex cabinet. That was before he got the Telefunken reel-to-reel.

I was instantly captivated by the music and although it seems unlikely, it seems to me that I actually recall this event. When the music ended, I asked my mom to play it again. Of course, she had to explain that it was radio and not LP, so it wasn't possible to play it again. That planted the seed of my love affair with both music and radio.

My parents bought the LP for me: James Dukas narrating, International Children's Symphony Orchestra, Happy Time Records HT 1001. I played it again and again and again, and that led to Mozart and Beethoven and on and on and on and on to a lifetime of music. The details would fill a book.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.