Thread: MvX upgrade?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wellschlager View Post
I have a brand new S250 with the MvX upgrade. I got very lucky; I was waiting on a regular S250, using a loaner S250, for a few months. My dealer asked me last month if I wanted the MvX version (for some extra $$). I said yes.

So, I've had the standard S250 in my system for a few months, and yesterday installed an ice cold S250 / MvX. It's a big difference. First thing I noticed was added space, air, and scale. Then I noticed additional resolution. Then I noticed some serious torque/grip. For me, it feels like I moved into a new, better, line of gear -- not just a tweak. For those of you like me, who moved from the Progression amps to Momentum, it was like that.

I could go on; but I hate reading posts like this ("OMG; it's soooo awesome. And now, let me show you how many audio-adjectives I've learned.") I'll just say this: after some recent weeks of fiddling with various cartridges, SUTs, phono stages ... and pulling my hair out at times ... my 2-second reaction when I turned on this S250 was "Hey, dumbass, amps are pretty damn important." IOW, the diff was way bigger than the analog close-calls I had been fiddling with.
Let me start by saying, I hate you John!

No, seriously -- thanks for the report. What I hate is the sound of $$$$ just flying out of my bank account.

Guess I need to start back on the PB&J for lunch while I save some shekels for the inevitable MvX upgrade to come. Of course, all my best wounds are self-inflicted -- I just sold my S250 to Wayne and now have two M400s from Ed to upgrade!

New cars are vastly over-rated. Besides, no one can get a new car in 2022 unless they're willing to make a couple of the car dealer's mortgage payments. . .

Steve Z

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!

Last edited by zettelsm; 01-02-2022 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Punctuation