Thread: Unexpected Hum
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2022, 06:37 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Great news, congrats. When I've had similar issues, it was almost always the tonearm cable and/or the position of my SUT.

If you want to take things a bit further in noise reduction, get a box of those little DF-SS Minis (Ivan can help you out), and place one between the tonearm cable and where it crosses the PC. It'll get even quieter. Even moving things a little bit can make a big difference. Again, the inverse-square law is your friend, here.

I use the little Minis all over the place, as shown; separating ICs from PCs...

Getting ground cables off the floor...

As cable elevators for ICs...
You definitely don't want any cables touching the carpet. That was an occasional issue for me during the colder months when the air was dry and static would build up. The noise would be sudden and sharp, like one of those game show buzzers, but sustained and more annoying, and it wasn't in the signal path (unaffected by the volume control). Once I got the speaker cables off the carpet, no more buzz.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks