View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarifixer View Post

I listen almost exclusively to chamber and orchestral classical music (Mahler is a favorite) usually in the 75-85 dB range and rarely much over 95 dB in full orchestra climaxes. My wife thinks it's VERY loud! Sometimes some blues and rock, but at about the same volume.

Listening space is part of a very open arrangement but is essentially a 16-1/2 x 17-1/2 corner area that extends another 15 feet in both directions. Ceiling is unfortunately 8'. Speakers are currently Snell C-IV's from the early 90's, eight feet apart, toed-in slightly with the sweet spot centered about nine feet from the speaker plane. New speakers will be a huge difference.

I am not tied into the ML's but really like the super transparency for orchestral music. No anemic low end, please. My budget is about $15-20K for speakers, so there should be plenty to choose from. Any suggestions?
I recommend the Magnepan 20.7s dipole speakers for your type of music, listening levels and amplifier. They are full range speakers that can reproduce bass drum in RR orchestral recordings with authority while providing remarkable transparency.

I have mine in the basement with 8 ft ceilings and they work really well. With the oval bases installed I have a few inches of clearance.

Last edited by cma29; 07-03-2013 at 10:13 PM.