View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 11:12 AM

I’m not a McIntosh person, but do have a “discovery” story. In the mid 70s my parents moved into a big 1790s New England house. Tucked away in a closet in one of the many rooms, my dad found an old McIntosh receiver, I think a model 1500, non-functional. He didn’t know much about hifi and hadn’t heard of McIntosh. When he showed it to me, I told him McIntosh was a fairly high-end, respected brand, and since the previous home-owner had passed away and there were no heirs, he should see if he could get it fixed and use it. He took it to Tech HiFi in Cambridge (the original store, called “Tech” because it was started by MIT students). They told him they could fix it up for a couple hundred, or buy it or trade for it for the same. He traded it on the spot for a new Technics receiver (probably about $250) and came home happy.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2