View Single Post
Old 02-12-2022, 02:33 PM

I would not sweat the wireless bogeyman too much with 1 caveat. As someone that built and shipped millions of high end enterprise wifi access point, I would have no worries that a good wifi implementation will not negatively impact sound quality.
There lies the rub. Wifi technology is always evolving, always in motion. There’s new major standards coming continuously, a wifi link can easily be faster than a 1G wired connection and with this magic comes complexity. If you are a vendor of hifi gear, what do you actually know about the wifi technology? Well, nothing. So you’ll buy the whole stack from a vendor and integrate this with the device OS, likely linux. There are many pitfalls there especially if the hifi vendor tries to cheapen out, which is likely in a product that sells for 500$, where the total part cost has to be around $100
To be clear I know nothing about the blusound wifi. For me I would keep the Mac and spend the 1K on a DAC. Good wifi first. But then i am of the unpopular opinion that fancy streamers is the last place to spend cash. In my setup I have a bricasti M3, a semi fancy DAC. I have the network interface so I can feed the DAC from a) Ethernet, b) Roon nucleus to USB c) a Naim ND5 XS2 through SPDIF. I can guaranteed that I have ears and there isn’t much difference at all between those 3 setups. Much much less than changing the filter in the DAC, or any other fiddling with components…