Thread: New! Unison USB
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I've spent several hours listening to the new Unison USB card in my Yggy. While A/B comparisons are impossible, the Unison USB made a noticeable improvement in my system. Digital sources sound even more focused and dynamic now. Everything seems to be quieter too - the background noise continues to be inaudible right at the speakers.

I liken the improvement to the difference between the WW Platinum Starlight Seven USB cable which replaced an Audioquest Carbon USB cable in my system. The fundamnetal sound hasn't changed - everything just got a little better.

Highly recommended if you are using the Yggy USB input. And it's an easy DIY project.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your impressions. I agree that the Yggy is very well made, solid and easily upgradable. Mine is a 1st Gen Yggy, so I’ve swapped the fuse from the SR red to black to blue and now orange. I installed the USB Gen 5 board years ago and sent the Yggy back for the analog 2 board. I picked it up at their B&M storefront. It’s been through a lot over the years, but its upgradability is exactly why I purchased it. I commend the folks at Schiit for their commitment to offer upgrades for their products at a reasonable price.

I switched to the Shunyata Sigma USB several months ago from the Curious. The Sigma USB performance is exactly as everyone on the Shunyata forum posted. There is so much separation, detail, focus and air. Everything has its own space and contributes to an amazing overall musical performance. With the Yggy Unison change, everything has become more dynamic, full of body and has become more natural sounding. In my system, I can feel that pluck of a guitar string, strike of a piano key and voices such as Eva Cassidy, George Michael, John Legend, etc gives me goosebumps. Please wait a few more days and allow the Unison board to settle in. Everything seemed to be forward initially, but it will settle and your soundstage depth will improve.

BTW for people wondering about my system, as I can't edit my signature yet, I am using a 2011 MacMini with SSD and a Paul Hynes SR7EHD power supply running Roon. The PC is a Shunyata Alpha NR PC plugged into a Denali 6000s V2.

My pre is a VAC Sig MkIIa SE with US made Amperex PQ white label with gold pin 6922's.

I have Maggie 3.6R speakers that are biamped with a highly modified Marchand XM44 crossover.

Amps for now are a ModWright KWA150SE (will be replaced by Pass Labs later this year) for the mids and highs and Bryston 7B SST's for the lows augmented by a pair of REL S/5 SHO subs.

The 2-channel components are part of an all Maggie HT system controlled by a Theta CB IVa with D3 Xtreme DAC pre/pro as a second pre.

Cabling is all WireWorld with Platinum 7's for main 2-channel listening and older Golds elsewhere. PC's are mostly Shunyata KC and Anaconda Helix CX and Paul Kaplan's HE's for 2 channel.

It's a modest system compared to those in this thread. Now I'm waiting for the Everest to replace my Running Springs conditioner to supply my pre's, DAC, and crossover. A Sigma EF C19 PC is on order already.

Ken

Last edited by kmmd; 02-08-2020 at 12:15 AM.